Wednesday 7 June 2017

Workout 5

Today's workout!

Slight change of plan today. At the last minute I decided to change from Wall Pushups to Incline Pushups...

However, I did do 1 set of 35 wall pushups as a gentle warmup.

Incline Pushups:

1 x 40
1 x 40
1 x 26

Notes: 5 min break between sets





Wow. That was definitely a step up in difficulty. I was using a low window sill at my local gym which was just below waist height so it's possible I was at a steeper angle than the 45 degrees recommended in Convict Conditioning. However, I did my best to stick to the correct speed (ie 2-1-2) and still put in 3 pretty good sets. I felt like I had a couple more reps to give on the last set but I kept them 'in the bank'. In convict conditioning 'training to failure' is not seen as a means to progress effectively.

Initially, I did feel kind of disappointed that I didn't meet the progression standard of 3 x 40 but with the benefit of hindsight this is actually a good thing. This is now a much meatier challenge for me over the next few workouts and I'll have my work cutout to get to the progression standard operating at the correct speed and form. Looking forward to the next one.

Goal for next workout: 3 sets of perfect form and speed. Aim for 27 reps on the last set.

Knee Tucks:

1 x 30
1 x 25
1 x 20

Notes: 4 mins break between sets






Still finding this exercise really tough. As above, this is a good thing. It would be boring if it was easy!

I did more reps overall than last workout so I achieved my goal in that respect and I took slightly less break time, which probably accounted for the reduction in reps in subsequent sets.  I checked my hand position wasn't too far back but I have a feeling I was going a little too fast which may well account for the higher rep total.

This exercise is proving something of a challenge due to the pressure I'm feeling around my lower back, the range of motion for the legs and the stability that's required. Again this is a good thing! can't say I'm looking forward to it as much but it's a decent challenge to aspire to.

Goal for next workout: 3 x 25 perfect form and speed

No comments:

Post a Comment